Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 1-3 which has kinda been one day...

So I arrived safe and sound at about 11pm Bangkok time which was 11am on Thursday Nashville time. Overall I was flying for about 27 hours. The longest flight was 14 hours from Washington, D.C. to Tokyo. Those Jappanese are freaking out about this swine flu stuff. They all had masks on the whole flight and we all had to be scanned and checked before we got off the plane once in Tokyo. We sat there for an hour and half and then I was forced to wear a damn mask until my next flight to Bangkok. I took it off once and got yelled at. It was definitely an experience.
Me and Katie got put on two different flights so I had to sit next to very interesting people. First flight I sat next to Jafar, seriously, if you could make Jafar into a real person he was it. Next flight was this nice little jappanese girl(yes, wearing a mask) who was a student at University of Kansas. The next (and worse flight) was from Tokyo to Bangkok. It took about 7 hours and it was miserable. The plane was huge but old and cramped. At first I had 3 open seats but then some dumb couple complained that the person they were sitting next to was coughing and hence giving them the swine flu so they moved them next to me.
Everyone on our trip got their luggage except Katie. Poor thing, her first international trip and she didnt get her luggage but its coming in tonight.
Its a 12 hour time difference from Nashville so its about 630 pm here. I have no idea what day it is or how much sleep Ive gotten. I am so confused but not as jet lagged as I thought I'd be.
Our group is about 30 people who all seem really fun. There are only about 5 boys on the whole trip and I think every girl is pretty so they lucked out for sure. Our hotel here in Bangkok is really nice and huge. We are on the 28th floor and have an amazing view of the city.
Bangkok is absolutely crazy but so cool at the same time. I am in love with Thailand already and I dont want to leave (sorry mom and dad but we are already talkin about staying an extra week- I'll keep you informed on that).
Today we started out with an amazing breakfast including fried rice, eggs and noodles and all crazy food that I have no idea what it was. Everything is really spicy but I love it. We then went to the Grand Palace which was unbelievable. I want to be a Queen so I can live in places like this. After that we had lunch on a canal with buffet food from all over hte world. After that we went on a boat through the canal and got a view of pretty much every angle of bangkok. Then we went to another Temple. Dont ask me names, I have no idea...We climbed to the top which was honestly the scariest thing I have ever done. The steps were maybe 5 inches wide and about a foot and half apart. I was wearing a skirt to be able to get in and yes of course, the wind got me and i flashed all of thailand... Thanks to Andrew for carefully holding it down for me while I tried not to fall and die. Getting down was the worst and I got a years worth of my exercise in that one trip down.
The weather here is so hot but it rains on and off for about an hour. Its actually nice because it cools it down and its timed perfectly. Its only rained everytime we get on the bus.
We went to a world famous tailor and I bought a dress that was customed made and fit for me. Its absolutely beautiful and made of real Thai silk and its just amazing. It only cost me $200 and there is none like it in the world so it was definitely worth it... Its about dinner time and then party time! I will try to get on this as much as I can to update ya'll...I know yall love to read 3 hour explanations on this thing and this has really just been a pretty basic day. So prepare yourself for future posts. All the crazy and exciting stuff is coming up in the next couple days. I will also try to add some of my pictures on here as well.

*Some cool crap about Thailand thus far:
-all the markets are separated into a certain craft or food type or something. So at one point you have about 100 booths all selling the same thing. Its very interesting and I dont see how they all can survive. Id just go to the first one and then leave. location location location
-Ive learned alot of very interesting things about Thai history but I wont bore you on htat yet..
-There are pictures of the king on absolutely everything. They are obsessed. Another reason why I want to be a Queen :)
-All this protesting stuff on our news is ridiculous. There is nothing here at all about that...

I love yall and miss yall!!

2 comments:

  1. Ah Yes...
    The Queen of Siam has returned...
    H...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be careful but have fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comment! Make sure to sign your name at the bottom