Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 6 & 7. Kanchanaburi and travel to Phitsalunrok (spelling is not right)

Yesterday was fantastic(besides hearing about Austin). We had another day in the jungle and started the day off by going to the hellfire pass from world war II. We walked along the area that was bombed and cleared for the Japs to build their railway to europe. It was made by p.o.w.'s and other forced labourers. It was so sad and you never learn history and never get a feel for how powerful it is until you see it with your own eyes. The heat here is ridiculous and its so humid. The rain has only been while we are in the pool or on the bus so that it is working out great. We then went to a national park and road along a raft down the river to the waterfalls. We spent about an hour climbing and jumping off the waterfalls. It was wonderful and so much fun. Garrett has a waterproof camera so we have some great videos and pictures from it. After that we went for a ride along the death railway to get to the next stop which was the only reason I signed up for this trip: The Tiger Temple.
The tiger temple started when a person brought a tiger cub to the temple to the monks after rescuing it from poachers. Everyone hear always takes animals to the Temple for Budha to look after. Once others found out that he succesfully took care of the tiger they started bringing more and it became what it is now. As you should know, I am obsessed with Tigers and to be able to play with adult huge tigers and baby cubs is going to be somethign I will never forget. Most of the tigers are all on chains and you get to walk and pet them and play with them if they are awake. The people say they sleep because its day time but of course they are sedated. It was sad seeing them that way though but as bad as it sounds it was worth it for me. They had a few tigers who were mature enough and nice enough to just walk around. You had to pay more to go this area, and I of course paid. They tell you to sit down and wait for them to come to you. As I sat down one of the biggest ones came to me and just laid down and put his head in my lap. It was so surreal and I just had a moment with this tiger. You're allowed to pet them and rub them like they are a household pet. He laid in my lap for about 5 minutes and even stretched out further and fell asleep. I cannot explain how amazing this was. I have probably about 100 pictures of it so dont worry. Because of that I didnt get to play with the cubs as much but I did see them and run around with them. That one event just completed my life. Once leaving the tiger temple we went back to the hotel. We stopped first and everyone stocked up on beer for the night and we def lived up to it. Our resort is out in the middle of nowhere so once you get there you cant leave. They have tons of stuff though to keep you occupied. Some of the girls made their own zipline thing and it almost cut off their leg.
The night ended wtih everyone almost blackout drunk all playing games and talking in the hotel lobby. This morning was a bad morning for most people because everyone was hungover.
We spent the whole day on the bus today with a few stops. We stopped at the 100year old market which has no tourists and no english so our tour guide made us play a scavenger hunt game where we had to use the Thai weve learned. Ive learned: Hi, Bye, How are you, Im good, Sorry and thank you. So i was useless but I did buy abunch of really cool stuff. We just arrived at our hotel in Phistajlsjdflajdflajd and we leave early tomorrow for chang mai.
I think I have said at least 5 times a day "this would NEVER happen in America" and most of the time I wish it did. This place is just so unbelievable. I cant talk about it enough or fully describe it. We are soo blessed but this place is still paradise. Kong said the average person here makes about 300 baht a day which is about $10. Its unbelievable.
I want to take every plant here back to america and have my own paradise garden at my house. This place has the most beautiful flowers and trees. However they have crazy bugs and reptiles..

There is so many other thoughts Ive thought about lately but I cant remember right now..I may update later..Tonight we are going on a bike ride through the city and eating bugs..

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud. You are incredible! I love reading your blog each day. It's just so amazing the things you are experiencing. I tried to tell Percy about the tiger laying his head in your lap, but she looked at me like I'm crazy. And those locations...Phistajlsjdflajdflajd - did your fingers get tied up in a knot typing this?
    Oh well, enjoy eating bugs and I'll look for you in "Bizarre Foods w/Andrew Zimmern"
    Love you, Harry...
    Ps. oh yea, I looked at the SLIDESHOW on the right - Thiland is a beutiful place, and the photo of the sleeping tiger helped bring your story to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely can't wait to see your photos!!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comment! Make sure to sign your name at the bottom